Thursday, August 20, 2009

Photography101

Let's get serious now...I am not one to sit on my ass if there's nothing on my mind for the moment. Because in reality, there are too many things to do, so little time. And many have been encouraging me to write a book...Thank you, but yes! I am writing several books, all at the same time but with different subjects. (sobra ka ambitiosa!!!)

I never cease to learn more things, because life is about learning. And you can never learn too much. If you think you know, then it is that you don't really know.

One day, I took the challenge of enrolling in those literary courses that I saw in a magazine. It was about writing children's books. I remembered as a child, how almost all of our children's books had a foreign theme.

Who would ever thought of playing in the snow, when it never snows in the Philippines.
Or that Santa Claus was a bearded, obese man carrying a sack of toys. How can a child ever comprehend someone wearing a long sleeve furry velvet cloth suit on a tropical hot place like the Philippines. He'll probably melt like butter on a hot pan. And unless you live in Baguio, fireplaces in living rooms was unheard of, and that was suppose to be Santa's entry to your house. Now that will really give Santa a free sauna.

The children's literary course was convenient because the deadlines for submission of articles were manageable. And you could learn at your own pace.

One time, I wrote about “the Parade of Lechons”, a fiesta in Batangas commemorating the feast of John the Baptist. This was one article I submitted to my teacher for a possible print at a Children's magazine. However, my teacher gave it back. with the comment, “What does John the Baptist have to do with roasted pigs? He was Jewish, he probably never ate any kind of pig.” So instead of me discussing Filipino culture and religion, I submitted another non controversial topic. What does she know about pigs, just as I didn't care less about snow!

Then, in between submitting my assignment and getting it back for comments, the lull was defeaning and so I enrolled again at an Insitute for catering and cooking, so I could write a cookbook.

Between a children's book and a recipe book, I needed illustrations and pictures. So that started me into another course ---Photography. This was one course that is really a challenge.

Why am I taking it? First, I am a stingy, parsimonously, frugal, penny pinching tight wad, otherwise known as barat. Photographers don't come cheap, and if I need to have lots of pictures for my cookbook or children's books, then I should at least know what I am looking for. Second, I value my time. I don't have a schedule yet for finishing my cookbook, so it's unfair to have a photographer this early on. Besides, I'd rather deal with my own idiosyncracies and moods rather than a hired person's. Finally, who knows, this can be a money making hobby for me in the long run.

With today's modern technology on cameras, you'd think that it's as easy as clicking the button and have a great take. Not so. And I found that out as soon as I took my first written exam, which I got a “B” grade. Not very encouraging. I still get confused with all those f-stops, aperture, shutter speeds and depth of field.

I still have so much to learn which includes the likes of lighting, digital processing, computer editing, photo journalism, portraits, setting up your own studio... etc...etc...Did you know that there are even rules and regulations of taking photographs and using them? Who wouldn't want to be in a photo? But then in this country of Litigations, there is such a thing as invasions of privacy.

And speaking of that, didn't you often wonder why some celebrity stars cover their faces? That's because the paparazis can demand big money for full body pictures which can be used for magazine covers and stories.

Speaking about the paparazis, as part of our curriculum, I am given a Press Card I.D. as an official photographer for the school (all students are given), which means I can gain access to those cordoned areas of a program. Although it won't guarantee entry, (the school says it's still at the organizer's or police discreetion), I can shove my press I.d on their faces and say, “hey! You wanna to be famous?”

Who doesn't want to be known anyway? We all want to be recognized, accepted and acknowledged even for the measly small stuff we do. Facebook is even a venue for that. But who Filipino ,when in a resto, in a party gathering, or wherever he is wouldn't say “PEEK CHUR, PEEK CHUR....PEEK CHUR TA BEH!!!”

I rest my case.

"There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs"
Ansel Adams 1902-1984

No comments: