Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Who is my idol chef?



Julie and Julia is one movie to watch especially for anyone who enjoys anything about food. Every minute was truly entertaining since I definitely could relate to Julie Powell as the food blogger who emulates her idol - Julia Child. As I write this piece, I am wondering who of those celebrity chefs would I wish to emulate...And so here is my take on all those food network stars.

Bobby Flay – he was the first food network star that I saw on television, many years ago. He'd been grilling since, and he's still grilling now. He is a New York street smart honcho chef with a baby face to boot and when he started getting famous, the air around him was as hot as the baloon he was blowing in his head. And as bloated as he was with his ego, the farther I stayed away. But then lately, with his show “Throwdown”, he has landed back on the ground, realizing he's not so hot after all. I liked him back especially after he placed his arms on my shoulder when I asked for his autograph at a book signing---but not enough to emulate him.

Tyler Florence – Top of his culinary class, and makes a lot of sense when showing his recipes. Was able to exchange a few lines with him. He says he was suppose to go to the Philippines a few years back but then he was too busy or something just came up. Very talented but still.....

Mario Batali- now he's one guy I can think of because he's not afraid to try and cook pig's snout, animal entrails, and all those weird stuff that the other chefs don't show on t.v. ..But he's just not my type, besides he's just a few inches taller than me.

Alton Brown – hmmm...funny as ever when we shook hands. Thats one thing I like about him. No airs, lots of p.r., his knowledge is more on the scientific side rather than the artistic side. More of a culinary historian and/or scientist. Wouldn't be surprised if his second job is being a comedian in Times Square---you know, those comedy show centrals they offer around those areas. Now this guy I could start thinking of...we'll see.

Anthony Bourdain – now here's one guy that I would really like to meet (and yes! I do have a ticket in October for a chance to meet him at the Food and Wine Festival. Sold out as of last look). I've read several of his books—and mind you it's no recipe book-- his travels and memoirs are fun to read. He is street savvy, and am more on the demure side..(kuno)

So lets go to the flip side....

Rachel Ray – the beer material, chunky image, chatterbox of the food network stars. She has never stopped talking from day one. But if you've seen her lately, she's no longer the once ordinary looking, home comfort lady that she once was. She evolved and allowed the food network to mold her. She tattles too much, thats probably why she has her own talk show now. RR will make a better fashion model for 'chunky' young women rather than those cooking tools she's promoting. Everything included, my take on her is that she's loud all over.

Guida de Laurentis – flawless. Her skin is smooth, she's short, and her ear to ear smile that shows good, healthy teeth—not to mention those 'tits' often oozing out of her. I wonder who's her wardrobe artist? If RR is the beer, she's the wine. Although her recipes are Italian inspired, she still does have some surprises up her sleeve. I asked several men who watch her shows, and they said that the first thing they notice is her boobs...Now that's something I don't have.

Ina Garten – the contessa, the epitome of respectable, relaxed but classy gustatory concoctions is an icon. She is one grand lady to emulate. Her speech is sweet rap to the point of being boring, but her recipes and ideas are quite surprising. Her epicurism is too refine to emulate against my kind of comfort, bawdy demeanor. Although I should ,if I want to make myself a food elitist, but who cares?!!!!

Masaharu Morimoto, Jacques Pepin, have fused their cultural dishes with others just like Ming Tsai and many others. I could go on and on and on...So..who among all those are the best chances of being emulated by moi: here is my criteria:

1)should know how to make Filipino food – such as utilizing everything of an animal.
2)must learn how to use asian ingredients
3)must be creative and knows how to share recipes regardless....
4)shouldn't be as loud as Rachel Ray, as boobsy as Guida or as boring as Ina.
5)Should possess the humor of Alton Brown, the street smart mentality of Bobby Flay
and the charisma of Anthony Bourdain.
6)Doesn't have to be a culinary graduate/ or have many years of cooking experience but close..

Okay, so I guess thats all...If anyone knows of such a person/cook/chef please let me know.....OH WAIT! But I DO have all those traits...SO....THENNNN.......the best person to emulate is ME …..I JUST HAVE TO BE MYSELF........Now how simple is that!!!!!

And here's a piece of news that I got from one of those foodie magazines:
” Many celebrity chefs don't cook. They used to. They still know how, but after years of 15-hour days in the kitchen, the last thing they want is to work the line night after night. It may be disappointing for the Food Network fanatic not to see her favorite chef at his own restaurants, but rest assured it's not usually the star chef who makes the food great. It's the chef de cuisine and sous-chefs- the nameless folks who toil away hoping one day they become stars themselves.”

No comments: