Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Haberdi and Happenibersari

Last Saturday was Mike's birthday which by the way happened to be our wedding anniversary as well. Looking back, Mike made a pretty good decision in choosing our anniversary on his birthday. Many men often forget anniversaries, but birthdays, nah!!!... It's what everybody looks forward to every year. Birthdays are the only time when celebrants are allowed to be crazy, lazy and to bully gag friends into yielding caprices, and still get away with it.

Mike and I really had no plans for the weekend. And I was not about to have any celebration whatsoever, considering I knew that the weather would not cooperate. Besides, we were on a budget, after having spent so much this summer.�

Many years ago, I took away that custom of surprising relatives with gifts during christmas, birthdays, anniversaries or special events. Instead, I would ask them what they needed--not what they want because that was always more expensive. If I could afford it, that would be my gift. If not, then I will look for another relative to split the cost with me. It's just but practical. And if all else fails, money is the best option. I knew that Mike wanted many things, but he didn't really need anything as far as I know.

I was already in the computer chatting in FB, when Mike awoke that Saturday morning. I got my birthday card from my bag, proceeded to the bed, gave him a kiss and greeted him. With squinted eyes, he looked at the white envelope and said, "Is there money in it?"...I smiled, but when he felt a little bump in the envelope, the beam on his face with an accompanying statement said, "i think there's money in it, it's kinda thick."

He took out the card from it's envelope, and as soon as he opened it, the first note of the song must have startled him and he immediately released the card. "there's no money..." he cried out.
"of course, there's none! what do you expect of me, sugar mama!" I said.
He opened the card once more to the tune of Kenny Rogers, "through the years." and a small note on the side of the card was dedicatedly and sincerely written for the occasion. After that short incident, I went back to the computer and resumed my chatting. Well, that's as far as my being romantic goes.

Anyway, I knew Mike had nothing for me because we had agreed earlier on a no-gift deal. Like I said, I'm Off those mushy, 'finger in tongue' romantic gymnasts...and the only reason why I bought the card was because when I was at the the pharmacy getting toiletries, I chanced upon it - no prior intentions whatsoever. But I knew he didn't want to be outdone, so while I was chatting, he slipped out of the house.

A few minutes later, Mike emerged carrying a black rectangular vase with a dendrobium orchid plant on it. With a kiss and a hug, he gave me the plant and said, "at least this one won't die, like my love for you won't ever."
Tagai and the gift


He was so proud of his gift that he narrated the three choices he had at the flower shop before making a decision . One was 2 dozen red roses, which cost only half of the original price, then there was a cute tiny cactus plant which he thought he could give me and say, "for our prickly relationship that keeps it exciting..." and finally the dendrobium orchid.�

Honestly, I really did like the plant and thought to myself that this is great. It's beautiful, not so expensive and can last me. And Mike was as excited and content with his find. But the tranquility of the moment was shattered when Mike blurted out, "Sh*t!"
"what;s wrong!" I asked.
"it's fake," he said.
"no it's not." I said, but as I looked closer, the threads of the topmost flower were hanging out like a dangling spiderweb.

I laughed so hard, that I almost peed in my pants. At first, Mike felt furious at the saleslady by not revealing the faux merchandise. Then he was disgusted at himself for being gypped of his purchased .�

I consoled him and said, that it's not really the item that counts, but the thought that went with it. The laughter made it even more memorable and the plant is definitely a keeper. We then both decided what we would do that day. I thanked him for my gift, and then I said, "Next time, can I have a creuset pan please?!




No comments: