Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Three Appetizers on St.Patrick's Day

Yesterday, Mike and I went to Louie Armstrong’s house which was converted into a museum in his memory. The tour of his house was informative, but I really did not sense much of him. Probably because the house was more for his wife, Lucille, than for Louie due to his absences because of his tours.

Being the person that Louie Armstrong was, outgoing and all, I could feel him in his garden, amongst his friends, enjoying the parties and jamming. Another place where his presence was alive was the den, where he kept most to himself. And of course, the gorgeous wall to wall to ceiling mirror covered bathroom. He had humble beginnings but was very successful as a musician. It is unfortunate that he left no heirs, thus donating everything to the city.

After that visit, we headed to Manhattan to check on the St. Patrick’s parade, only to realize that we had missed it. Nevertheless, we strolled to the upper side of Times Square towards the theatre where David Letterman holds his night shows.

On the side street of the theatre, there was a crowd that gathered. Mike thought there was a film shooting going on, since cameras were clicking everywhere. As we approached, we immediately heard shrieks of “Julia!!!” And to my amazement, there she was in her black dress.beautiful like in the movies, my idol in ‘my best friend’s wedding”--Julia Roberts! In the flesh!

Anyway,....of course nothing completes my day without having to cook up in my to-do list of cooking which included appetizers. Earlier in the day, I made salmon ceviche with wasabi vinagrette and this is it:



-salmon cut up in bite sizes
-wasabi powder
-grated ginger
-minced scallions
-few tablespoons of vinegar
-salt and pepper to taste

we ate this for breakfast and boy it was so yummy. Then I rememered that the Japanese ate their sashimi's in the morning when the morning catch was still so fresh. And that's just what we did.

Later on I baked some bone marrow after seasoning them. When the fleshy part was smooth and spreadable, I plated them with condiments and toast. There was also a little radish salad to wash away the oiliness but the buttery taste was yummmmmmm.


I also made scallops on cheese cups...

No comments: