Tuesday, March 10, 2009

See Food Weekend

I have had a wonderful weekend because I not only made delicious meals,complete with drinks, but I as well took pictures of them. My son thought I was so busy, but in reality,I didn't really feel busy because I was having fun.

Since, it's been awhile that I made Tempura, I just needed to brush up on it. Normally, when frying shrimp with batter, the moment the shrimp hits the oil,it just curls up. I tried many ways of cutting the shrimp, after deveining, either make a slit in front or the back or whatever,it just curls...So this time,I wasn't going to fail, and I stuck them with a stick.That ought to keep them straight.



It was so funny how they looked all lined up when I laid them on the paper todrain the oil. So when I did plating, I had to let them stand and captioned it "more heads are better than one" since all the shrimp heads were cuddling in one direction. What a funny way to put it...all shrimpheads are better than one...

Then I had a friend who took a picture of some fish in the market all laid in a line and on top of another. He called it death and daing...I had this butter spreader that looked like a hangman's tree,where the butter spreader was hanged and the cup containing the spread was down below. I used it to hang my head shrimp and titled it, "Battered, Beheaded and Hanged" It was so funny....




Last week, I bought some fish that I saw at the oriental store. I wanted to make them into anchovies. First, I cleaned off their heads and guts and then burried them in salt inside a ceramic dish. A week later, I took them out and discarded the old salt as it was being contaminated by the fish blood that melted off the fish. It was too early to bottle them and preserve it, so I took out 3 pcss. AT this stage, they are considered daing or buwad. The pinoy in me just needed some dried fish and rice. And boy, did it taste yummmmmm.



Okay, so then, am done cooking at my son's house and decided to pair my food with some of the drinks I also made up. And i made 2: Ms Crummy (cranberry juice and rhum)



and Maldita Margarita (tequilla, lime, jalapeno slice and ice)



So if that wasn't enough, after visiting my son, I still had to make my gourmet fish ball and the vietnamese spring roll. Not because I wanted to cook this time, but because I just needed to see some photographic effects on similar backdrops.


And so it was

Vietnamese Spring Rolls....



Over all, I had so much fun. Can't wait to try more this weekend.


Black Sesame Crusted Salmon

No comments: