Monday, March 16, 2009

Starting the Weekend

The sun was still bright when the train rolled into the New York Penn Station at half past three in the afternoon. The station‘s main lobby had people scampering like ants anticipating the drops of rain, running in all directions, while others stopping to look at schedules posted on strategic locations. It was a Friday

My country pace and restful demeanor were so contrary to what was happening around me. I was thankful that I didn’t have to be in any ’rat race’even if I was witnessing one at the moment. After all, it was the start of my vacation, and I wasn’t going to do much than what was already planned. Or so I thought!

Earlier in the week, I listed the things I wanted to do. No long trips just so I can relax in some remote vacation spot. Besides, wherever one went with a phone, there’s a bunch of people following right behind. Isn’t that what the phone advertisment always insinuated, even amidst a dead spot? Besides, with today’s economy, every penny saved is important.

A broadway play, a comedy show, museum visits and lots of dining out were at the top of my list. A few weeks ago, I had gotten an email which entitled me to discounts at several restaurants. These were gift certificates that cost me only about 10 percent of the total cost. I chose some Spanish restos that had a whole lineup of tapas, some Mediteranean with their mezzes, Asians with their curries and sushis. And a mixture of French, Italian and American cuisine. Using these certificates would go a long way with my budget.

With eating, there also will be lots and lots of cooking, plating, styling and photographing my creations.. One of my project was to create and plate individual servings of Filipino dishes. Normally, Filipino dishes are served with family style mentality. Several dishes are ordered to be shared by everyone. My thoughts are to make single servings as palatable and appealing as buffet style eating.

And finally, in my last few days, I would like some alone time with my laptop and my thoughts.That is what I want to do…and I hope I can achieve something aside from resting my aging physical existence.

My first attempt at pinoy food evolution was an inspiration of 'rellenong bangus'. Back home, I would labor myself pounding the bangus, extracting the flesh side, sauteing it with vegetables and stuffing them right back in, only to fry or bake them once more. Here in America, time is precious and bangus is a commodity in some states.

Salmon is readily available and rice wrappers can be found in asian stores. It's one of those must haves of an asian pantry. So I thought of making a salmon encased concoction. And this is how it came out.



I know I can do a better job, but hey! it's my first attempt. If I rate myself as a photographer I'd get a mediocre grade...for a styling/plating newbie, I'd flunk myself, but as a chef! hands down!!!!my critics say it tastes so much like the rellenong bangus but with a salmon taste..ofcourse,silly! it's made of salmon. By the way, I fried the salmon skin like chicharon and it came out so crunchy. Don't we do that with our fried rellenong bangus?...I mean the crunchy side of it.


And yesterday, my daughter-in-law Aileen made this superbe ice cream out of raspberries and mascarpone cheese. So rich, and yummy, I just had to style it. And this is how I served it to my husband.



And this is how the ice cream looked after everyone had their fill of the dessert.

No comments: