Sunday, November 23, 2008

Oon-oonan nga Salmon

During the week, I am bombarded with bagels and cream cheese for breakfast; pizza, hotdog, mac and cheese/quiches for lunch and cheese casseroles for dinner. So overwhelmed with American junk that when I get my weekends off, I look for rice and any filipino viand I can think of.

Yesterday, my sister in law had a pre-thanksgiving dinner since the whole family was leaving for Ohio to spend Thanksgiving there. So again, I was bombarded with the traditional turkey, green beans, yams, cranberry sauce and mashed potatoes. Typical American Thanksgiving dinner.

So early this morning, I find myself at the Oriental Store looking for pork to make humba, crispy pata or lechon kawali (whatever meat fits the above criteria) There was chicharon that was too hard to resist. But the best find that morning was a plastic bag of discarded salmon fat and bones that had too much meat still on them. The fish vendor would fillet several salmons and the discards were collected and sold for a song. Since I was an early bird, I had the choice, and they were really very limited items. And this find cost me a dollar. (about 3 lbs total at least).

I prepared my slow cooker and washed the salmon parts. Seeing the translucent fat of the salmon and the thick meat still stuck to the bones, made me salivate just thinking of the dish I was going to make.

I placed cut up tanglad, green onions and ginger at the bottom of the slow cooker, Then I spread a fourth of a pack of sinigang mix. I strategically placed the salmon pieces then covered it again with cut up tanglad, green onion and ginger. I then placed again a fourth of a pack sinigang mix with a cup of water. Placed the lid, set it to low and forgot about it for 2 hours. (well that was about how much time I forgot it)....My son said it was delicious....

(sorry! couldn't take pictures since I left my camera at my sis-in-laws house after the thanksgiving dinner-- however, this time, I have my digi cam cable with me--- now that's what I call having a senior moment- BIG TIME!)

Okay...so before I leave you, don't think that we filipinos eat all those lechons, crispy patas, chicharons and yet have fewer heart attacks....well...they say...

THE JAPANESE eat very little fat, and suffer fewer heart attacks than the AMERICANS

THE FRENCH eat a lot of fat, and suffer fewer heart attacks than the AMERICANS.

THE MEXICANS drink very litte red wine, and suffer fewer heart attack than the AMERICANS.

THE ITALIANS drink excessive amounts of red wine, and suffer fewer heart attacks than the AMERICANS.

THE GERMANS drink a lot of beer and eat a lot of sausage and fats, and suffer fewer heart attacks than the AMERICANS.

CONCLUSION: Eat and drink what you like: Apparently, speaking English is what kills you

No comments: