Monday, November 10, 2008

Fish Sticks and Fish Soup

During the week, my meals are American inspired because of the company I keep. However, when weekend comes, my palate tends to be more on the adventurous side, when I have more time to make recipes from scratch.

I am not one to go for ready made frozen food, but when necessity dictates, I have no choice. However, if there is one item that I would rather make from scratch is the fish sticks. First, because ready made frozen fish sticks have more of the breadings than the fish. And second, I really don't know what kind of fish they put in. Since they are so even like, I presume they mash it and then shape it to uniform thinckness. Similar to the fish ball type which I have never really liked even when placed in those chinese soups.

So given the time and resources, I do my own



Cut the fish into desired finger shapes. Wash and pat try with paper towels
Season with salt and pepper. Then toss in seasoned flour to coat.
Dip in beaten egg and then roll in bread crumbs. Then fry.
Serve with your favorite dip. In this picture, I got the garlic caesar salad dip. There are so many gourmet dips in the market today that you should try at least some. There is this wasabi dip made from rothschild farm, that is to die for. If you get a hold of it, try it. (that's if you like wasabi).

Yesterday, after visiting my son, Mike decided to make fish soup (his version) I was too tired to cook, and so I let him be. He wanted a sweet version so I told him to use miso. Well! he didn't listen and instead was very adventurous.



He had half of a huge fish head cut up into pieces. He sauted chopped onions and let it carmelize, then added water. He then placed the cut up fish head plus all the other ingredients which included the juice of one orange. (I guess this also took the langsa out), a small piece of glazed ham, scallions, and some seasonings. When the concoction boiled, he turned off the heat and dropped the bokchoy. The pinkish thing on top of the fish is my garnish of pickled ginger. Yummm...Surprisingly, the taste was excellent. It had a sweet taste (due to the onions and ham), the fatty meat of the fish melted in your mouth, and there was no fishy smell nor after taste (probably the citric orange did this). When I asked Mike what he called his soup, he said VOS (Victory for Obama Soup) since he thinks his soup was also a success.

No comments: