Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Chicken Liver Canape and Bihod Tempura

In the Philippines, there is no food wasted. EVery part of the animal is eaten or used for a variety of purposes.

Let's take the case of a chicken. The feathers are used for a duster or as adornments for a dress,and the rest for food. We all know the edible parts such as the breast, thighs and legs which are fried, adoboed or stewed. Then the parts of the neck, wings, backbones and wingtips can be used for broth while the innards such as gizzards and liver are often made into cocktail bit sizes like what I did.

wrap chicken liver in bacon and bake/broil
serve with your favorite dip. I would have placed a decorative bamboo toothpick on it but I ran out of it. My favorite dip would be aoli -smashed garlic mixed with a little oil to form into paste. Or the ranch dressing with little mustard is doable.Especially if you have vegetable strips to go with it.


My next project on this will probably be the famous chicken feet in soy sauce. But I have to process my thoughts on this yet. Am not so keen on making it if I also don't make steamed fried rice to go with the chicken feet in taosi.

Anyway, when we went to chinatown last weekend, Mike saw bihod (fish roe) from a huge fish. It costs a dollar a pack and I guess it weighed about a kilo per pack. It was so cheap that he couldn't let go of it. This is one third of a pack.


Mike washed the bihod and placed a lot of salt. The next day, I drained the water that build up because of the sale. Then I patted it dry with paper towels and cut them into bite size pieces. I rolled the roe in flour to seal, and then rolled them again in crushed black pepper. I made tempura batter and fried it. The result was just amazind and this is the outcome





I made tempura sauce by grating ginger and mixing it with ready made tempura sauce which we bought in the oriental store.

Here in America, there are places where you can get this kind of fish roe for free. In the next town where we live, there is a fish market that gives away tuna head and tuna belly. And boy! we have a feast everytime we visit our suki...in return we buy the most expensive fish cut of whatever fish he has in season. So either way is a winwin situation.

And speaking about fishes---it's one of the best pet you can have. Why? because you don't have to scoop poop like you would in a cat or a dog. You wouldn't have to bathe your pet since a fish is always in water. A fish is quiet yet talks to you all the time. Just watch his lips and figure out what he's saying...It can be theraphy ..and when you lose your job, well! he could be your last meal, as well.

No comments: