Monday, October 6, 2008

Where's my digi cam cable?

Last weekend, I could have posted so many stories about my continuing culinary weekend making latik, biko, puto and budbud. Then there was the encounter with Giada de Laurentiis at the Mall, and then the street fair in our town. I could have posted my blog complete with pictures and all! But NAH! I couldn’t because I FORGOT THE CABLE of my digi cam at my son’s house.

How could I forget? The only link that proves to the world that I’m still alive, and I had to forget it?! OMG! The irritation of forgetfulness plus the realization that it could have been avoided equals frustration!

Call it senior moments, short span memory loss or unintentional forgetfulness, but take comfort, because we all go through this one way or another. We are so preoccupied with Alzheimer’s disease or dementia that are considered the signs of possible trouble. But we forget (there’s the bad word again) there is such a thing as normal memory loss and it happens to all of us, no exception.

Just think of these familiar scenarios at home with kids and hubby:

“Hay naku! Where are my glasses? I would ask. And the reply would be, “They’re on top of your head, mom!” Or when I’d ask again, “Oh! Where did I put my keys?” and the response would be, “You’re holding them, mom!”

Or the fact that you’re dialing your calculator , thinking it was a phone, or that you’re punching the numbers on your telephone thinking it can add up like a calculator.

Or what about those instances when you meet a friend, excited that you haven’t seen each other in ages, only to realize that you completely forgot her name. What do you do? Tell her if she remembered your name so that she can tell you hers. What if she did remember yours but you forgot hers. What would you do without sounding rude?

Or maybe in the middle of a discussion, you cut yourself short because there was something else you wanted to say. Then the proverbial saying, “it’s on the tip of my tongue.” Or that when going back to the discussion you just couldn’t remember what it was you were talking about earlier.
So here’s one other thing. Men and women have different ways of remembering things.

Yesterday, I asked my husband if he remembered the kind of car Steve McQueen rode that made him so famous. And of course without batting an eyelash, he gave me a whole summary of McQueens movie (Bullet ?) and the make of the car (mustang?). But when I asked him if he remembered what dress I wore on our first date, he just couldn’t remember. Would you consider that selective memory? Is a car more important to a man than his wife?ahhhh--Yeaahh?

Oh well! Nowadays, we are bombarded with brain food such as nuts and spinach. Or that we need to continue doing mental calisthenics to sharpen our mind. But even with all those cures and prevention, it is inevitable that our body mechanisms will malfunction and eventually cease.
Technology has made us more knowledgable than we can imagine by just a touch of the computer keyboard while surfing the internet. We do not need to memorize nor do mental gymnast because we can get information by just a touch of a key. We do not need to remember who called us because voice messages just pops up from our phones when we missed our calls, or that PDA’s are all we need to remember schedules.

Placing a chip in our brains is a probability more today than it was 50 years ago. There are people who have chips in their heads because they were deaf and needed cochlear implants. Some people even have chips implanted in their retinas and others have external cameras connected to chips implanted in the visual cortex. Technology in the coming ages will give us more access to memory.

Imagine if technology brought us to the point that we had virtual Web browser in our brains to find out what we need. Like: there’s that woman with short, pudgy nose, freckles, papaya boobs, recall name! And then you wait..downloading…downloading…downloading and then ..Aha! ADRIANA!.

That would be cool, wouldn’t it? We would remember everything, but it would not be able to relate to feelings of joy, laughter, pleasure and emotions such as love , hate, and compassion. Nothing beats the real thing.

So what if I forgot my digicam cable, at least I still got my sanity and my wits. In the meantime, life must go on. This weekend I will visit my son again, and get that digicam cable. There is also an exciting event I will attend in New York. That will even be a bigger blog. So I just can’t wait for that to happen and write about it in my blog. In the meantime………

No comments: