Monday, May 4, 2009

I Scream ICE CREAM!

Do you ever have those days when your mind is totally a complete blank? I'm not talking about the Big A creeping in but something like an overdrive of your brain. Exhausting ones self to oblivion either mentally or physically will eventually result to a breakdown or fatigue.....It will lead to those "duhhh!" moments. when one just stares and gapes at nothingness....However, let me remind you, that if you do have those moments, make sure you're not in the presence of people because with a blank stare and mouth open, it will lessen your face value...if you know what I mean.

This whole week, I was just totally spent. In between sneezes and hot flashes, I was floating like a zombie. Reminds me of Michael Jackson's, "Thriller" song. One minute, I was dancing and gyrating to the 70's music, reminiscing my teenage years, and the next minute, am sitting down not even conscious that I'm staring at something.

Frozen in space is my theme for this week. Which means that I will be playing with ice cream, sorbets/sherbets, gelatos and granitas. So what is the difference...A lot and not so much...Ice Cream is simply what it suggests--frozen cream. Gelato is just the Italian name. Technically, sorbets are never made with milk or cream, and sherbets often have milk or buttermilk added. But then again, many professionals use the term interchangeably. Granitas are the simplest form of ice dessert. It's simply shaved ice.

Photographing ice cream is not easy since they easily melt. Many photo stylist often fake their shots by using mashed potatoes or shortenings. And there are many other tricks of the trade for this. But as of now, in my case, this is the real thing. For my three photos, my theme was MAHJONG......

Anybody for a chow. Am using melon balls on vanilla ice cream with green kaong for chips

Okay, so how about a PONG! Mga bintos pa gyud ang pong. Kuwang nalang ug usa para ma Cang! Vanilla ice cream with green kaong.

Kani ang pinaka WAITING! Seven balls para Mahjong! All up single, siete pares, paningit and jai alai.....Oh usab pa ta!


Then I made kiwi granitas which I placed in the ice maker and turned it into sorbet. It tasted so good.
I placed the cherry because I had a funny thought in mind which I will keep to myself the explanation.......

Another glass serving with dollops of whipped cream. How cute those small dots look.

The recipe is so simple: 1 kilo kiwi fruit peeled and chopped (take off the center stems)then place in blender or food processor. Mix with3/4 c. sugar which was dissolved in 1 1/3 water. Chill.

To make granitas, when it starts to set, scrape it down. And to continue into sorbet, place in your ice cream maker and follow manufacturer's instructions.




Then my experiment of the frozen ice cream. My Thai friend said to shape a round ice cream and freeze it. Once frozen, totally wrap it in bread, making sure there are no holes that would expose the ice cream when you fry it. Leave in the freezer for hours until frozen hard. Then heat oil and fry for a couple of minutes until the outer layer turns crispy. (it doesn't look appealing when served as a whole. It looks like a meatball) So when serving, cut it up and pour in chocolate sauce, and powder with granulated sugar.

Oh, by the way, I froze several ice cream balls and one of them I coated with pecan nuts. And when I served it, I had to cut a portion to display the inside. I placed it on top of my granddaughter's over run chocolate cake...cool!

No comments: