Tuesday, February 21, 2012

RAISING THE BAR

Our family lawyer once said that I should have taken law after I graduated my accounting degree since I had a very inquisitive mind. And I said, even without the law degree I always act as if I was one—just ask my family. I always give free advices even if they don't ask for it, and I defend them even if they don't need it.

But last weekend, I did take the bar—a different kind which many know as BARtending. Actually, bartending is different but similar to a mixologist in that the former has limited responsibilities (the former just tends the bar, and the mixologist is like a chemist mixing drinks. Although both can be one and the same person.

Bartenders/mixologists are one of the most misunderstood person in the industry in the sense that people think they are drunkards or have evil spirits lurking around them. In reality, they are part of the food industry which plays a huge role. From offering aperitif drinks, entree concoctions and after dinner beverages that help in digestion after having a sumptuous dinner, mixologists are a class of their own. It is also an art in itself. Moreover, almost all the bartenders/mixologists do not drink on the job. Well, almost always. And turnovers on this job is high because of that.

Most of my classmates taking the training class were doing so either to augment their income as a second job, or they wanted to open their own joints with a bar as a come on. In my case, I told the teacher that I had this aura where people I just met would open up and tell me their problems. Moreover, since I have a very conservative upbringing where bars are considered unmentionable as a hangout place, taking the class would be so convenient because then I can give them their anesthesia in liquid form. Besides, it's part of the food industry and I just wanted more info.

The first day of class we had a male teacher who taught us the basics of bartending. He gave us the parts of a bar, how things were placed for easy access and some of the many terms often used by bartenders. He also told us to memorize the top 25 drinks, since they are what would likely be ordered. In the afternoon, we were hands-on with the drinks. Most of the props in the class were fake (if they weren't I would be sure we would end up tipsy and trashed). The liquids were exactly colored as you would have seen them in a bar. And sometimes, we had to refill the bottles with pails of colored water found ion the back end of the room.

The next day was as equally fun especially that our teacher this time was a young, pretty , voluptuous, petite, african american woman. In between her lectures, she would relate her experiences, from being in dive bars to the high end hotel scenes. Most high end bars often hire males and dress them like penguins (or something like that), while women were just used for aesthetic effects. Our teacher also taught us about the history of some drinks, such as the Tom Collins drink , where this boisterous jerk seemed to be spreading blasphemes about some people. And those who fell prey to this prank would go to bars looking for this “TOM' only to find out he was not there. In the end, it was realized that there was no such guy and thus the drink.

The hand's-on for that day was much faster paced. The teacher would tell us to make a drink every minute, and in 10 minutes we would have roughly about 10 drinks laid on the table. That was how a busy bar would operate. Every drink that we make should be mixed right in front of the guest. So we had to take the bottles from the top shelf, pour it right in front of the client, and if needed, shake it also within his vision like giving him a show of his drink, and readily pour it out and pushing the drink to the client.

Aside from mixing drinks, we were told some tricks of the trade. Drinks that needed a cool glass but had no access to a refrigerator, would first have the glass filled with ice and water chilled right in front of the customer. Then the bartender would make the drink from another glass, shake it with the boston shaker. Then the ice from the chilled glass would be thrown out and the drink from the shaker would be poured on the chilled glass. Garnishes were also taught

In totality, I had such fun meeting new friends, sharing stories and mixing drinks. At the end of the training class, I was filled with knowledge, very much SOBER, and in high spirits. Now that's what I call RAISING THE BAR!





No comments: