Wednesday, February 29, 2012

A Birthday and Volunteering Weekend

I did it again. I had such a great and fulfilling weekend. From my granddaughter's birthday party until the volunteering work at the park

When you join a FILIPINO birthday party of a 6 year old, you can be sure that there are more oldies than there are kids. Any reason is just as good to gather the family for some fun and food. My granddaughter Andrea turned 6 last weekend and not only did kids get their share of fun, the adults joined in as well. Here's an excerpt. Can you hear my aunties laughter and all?....Didn't want to share this but hey, wtf (why the fuss?)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5q2Jp193Bzo&context=C377c274ADOEgsToPDskKoE0wWU4haiD7GRdXcysxI

And here in New York if you want to attend a show without having to pay entrance, just volunteer your services. That's what we did at the “Tea and Coffee Festival” in Manhattan which was celebrating it's 8th run. We arrived an hour early before doors open. Volunteers were given black t-shirts and given their assignments. Hubby and I were entrusted as greeters to visitors. Since the venue was on the 7th floor of a building, we stood fronting the elevators with 'goody bags', which were distributed to the attendees. The goody bags contained flyers, samplers of tea and coffee (compliments of exhibitors), biscotti, cookies, leaflets, pamphlets-- and whatever stuff relating to coffee or tea. Of course we also set aside a bag for ourselves.


The 4 hour shift went by so fast that our relievers took over soon enough. It was then our turn to enjoy the festival which we did. After a free lunch of sandwhich and cookies, I attended the TEA BASICS 101, where the speaker explained the intricacies of tea production and preparation.

What intrigued me during the festival was the white coffee which was currently exhibited. The coffee bean was fired to high heat until the bean turns white. Don't ask me how, it just does. And there's also a chocolate mint tea which caught my attention. In one part of the room was a coffee competition and I did not inch my way through that area since it was too crowded. In totality, experiences like this keep me better educated to what's new and fun in the industry.


Our volunteering did not end that day but the next. This time it was for charity work such as a feeding program done by a religious organization. Hubby and I helped a swami chef load up food in his car and go to a nearby park where people were queing up for a free meal. I learned that this activity was done 3 times a week, rain, shine or snow, people would come just for a meal

I was manning the cooler by pouring warm tea on plastic cups and handing them out. My heart went out to these people who were just glad to get a meal. Some would even carry their own plastic containers for refills, probably the only meal they would have in the next 2 days before the next meal distribution.

We had a huge pot of vegetable stew consisting of a brocolli, zuccini and tomato in a masala sauce. Green salads with curry dressing added to the plate. And for dessert, there was nutritious banana cake with chocolate yogurt frosting.

As the people were moving forward to get their meal, I could feel their sigh of relief as food was cupped onto their plate. I thought to myself that even in the land of milk and honey, there is suffering and pain. I cannot judge whether their misfortunes were making wrong choices or a failure of the system, but regardless of their stories, there are those that feel compassion. And this is the swami chef's commitment. His effort as a chef, coupled with his belief plus the generosity of his benefactors in the supply of food and kitchen, makes him give back an offering to his Maker. And the heart of the matter really, is the matter of the heart. And this weekend for me was just that.

1 comment:

andromeda said...

It was just what you said, a glorious weekend!!!