Sunday, November 28, 2010

Downtime

I had a pretty good downtime yesterday. Initially, I had slept in till after lunch, not wanting to move from under my thick comforter. It was going to be a chilly day, said the weatherman, so I really wanted to just veg out. But being unproductive often makes me guilty, so reluctantly, I pulled my heavy butt up, and started to dress.

Aside from the bookstores, my next favorite is the craft store. I needed some props and gear for my food styling so off I went. I didn't take much time to shop but the long line to the cashier made me hungry. While waiting my turn to pay off my purchases, I was fantasizing my meal.

After the store, I proceeded to the bus stop to get my ride back home. No use walking , I thought, and even if I was bundled up, the wind chill was stabbing my face. On the ride, I was still contemplating my meal. I though of going to McDonald's or KFC for a quick fix, but I vowed that I'd rather starve than go to those fast food chains. However, if I was amongst friends opting for it, I would be left with no choice. After all, I wouldn't want them to 'stumble' on my account.

I decided to go to my favorite deli to see what I would fancy. The thickness of the rib eye with all its marbling made my mouth water at the thought of a juicy steak. I often wondered why they sold steaks in such thick slices while back home, we were very stingy with our cuts. Then I realized that you could burn the outside crust while maintaining the juiciness and pinkiness for a medium well steak. I often conclude that a steak shouldn't be cooked well done, because it looses its moistness, nor should it be rare- better eat the cow, and I hate to see blood on my plate.

After the deli, I went to the liquor store to buy another prop for my project. John, the sommelier is one of the most important person in my culinary journey. He tells me the best wines to try for my budget, what his latest deliveries are and he would even suggest wine pairings for some food. Today, I asked for some vodka to infuse with my fruits. He immediately went behind the counter and got a bottle of clear liquid which he handed out to me. I looked at the bottle and my eyes almost popped out when I saw that the alcohol content was 96% pure. John explained its characteristics and that he himself did some experimentation by adding spices such as corriander, thyme and mint among others.

As soon as I arrived home, I started preparing my meal by putting a heavy steel pan on the stove. My stomach was rumbling and whining. From the fridge, I took out whatever salad ingredients I could find. Lettuce, brocolli slaw, croutons, feta cheese and whatever fruit I can find, I dumped it in. This time , we only had persimmons so I peeled it up and cut them to size. After seasoning the steak with salt and pepper I slapped it on the hot pan and the apartment smelled of burnt offering so aromatic that am sure God would be pleased. While my steak was cooking, I prepped up my table and opened myself a bottle of wine. Hmmm, I may be alone but boy! I ain't lonely.



my dinner of steak, salad and a glass of wine-- well about 3 glasses...
After dinner, I was ready to work....placed some dancing music of Stevie Wonder, Eumir Deodato and some Earth, Wind and Fire......then off I was grooving away....shutter speed happy, and .feeling chemist happy (I had to make my fruit infussions-- no vodka drink for me when am working)......the pictures will speak for itself.




here's my proof! 96% proof


My studio..The nice thing about food photography is that your models don't complain what their best sides are...And you can eat or drink your models after. Can't say the same for other photographers.. heheheh! (you know what am talking about)


a preview of my work...still needs a lot of practice, but am getting there....

No comments: