Thursday, November 4, 2010

Asian Fare

Every chance we get, Mike and I try new places to eat. Whether it's a hole in the wall or some fancy bistro, it is always an experience. Of course our middle, working class pockets allows us limited choices. Besides, a place becomes expensive only because of the service they offer, or how fancy they dress up a dish. For as long as the food is palatable and the place sanitizingly inviting, then it can pass.

One of our favorite waiters in New Jersey recommended us to an "eat all you can" buffet a few blocks off the Penn Station in New York. Back then, it was called Todai, and we never really gave it a thought—and all we could say then was – 'someday'. Well that someday turned out to be last Friday.

My budget luncheons always carry a $10 limit because with that amount, I could easily get myself a good Korean rice meal complete with banchans, meat, veggies and soup, or a mediterranean falafel can last me for my next meal some 8 hours later. But when I went to the assigned place, the name had been changed to Ichiumi. I had already processed my mind to spend a few more dollars as what my friend suggested the meal would cost, but whem I got to the place, lunch turned out to be almost twice what I expected.

I really wasn't ready to spend much, but I had invited my hubby to the place and the least I could do was to see if he liked the place before we did an about face to search for another resto. Through the glass window that separated the receptionist and the main dining area, I could see Mike inspecting the dishes lined up on one area or the room. He glanced at me and gave his thumbs up, signaling that we have found our restaurant.

The sushi/sashii station had an assortment of 50 different kind; 10 different kinds of raw seafood including oysters, clams, and fishes; there were 16 side dishes such as seaweeds, sea urchins, portions of tiny grated 'whatever it was' japanese kind” of sides, 7 different soups including miso, and seaweed ; Sho mais and gozas were enclosed in a glass steamer; then there were 23 different hot entrees including tempuras, fried crispy fishes, 3 kinds of rice which included kimchee rice, 15 kinds of appetizers, and about 20 different finger size desserts. It was an Asian fare with a hint of a caesar salad or cheese bits here and there.

In totality, the food was good and we washed it down with warm sake. A great experience and am sure we will be returning customers soon.



there were at least 10 chefs behind the food that kept on refilling the plates.



this is mike's plate...i had about 5 servings...i basically tried everything..but i went slow on the desserts.

No comments: