Friday, March 19, 2010

My Bisaya Comfort Food ala Cuisine-nera

One of those comfort foods I really miss back home is the 'Saging gisawsaw sa gipusil'. Sounds like a title to a gory movie, right? but truly it's banana dipped in ginamos that was pinched with chili peppers (GInamos na PUSlitan ug SILi). We can't get saba bananas much less the ginamos found in carbon, so this is CIA's (cuisine-nera in America's) version of the dish.



first, mike cleans the sardines, extracts head and entrails and cures it with the 'salting' method
lots and lots and lots of kosher salt....then leave it for a couple of days





Then he cleans it again bu discarding the old salt which would then have accumulated some blood from the fish.
Cure again with lots and lots and lots of salt. Leave for a couple of more days.






wipe off the salt from each fish and then you can now put it in a ceramic dish or bottle. layer your fish after wiping off the salt (do not wash). Then you can add your olive oil and spices.





your anchovies will keep whenever you need it, for as long as it is submerged in olive oil and that the oil is above it. Add your favorite spices like peppers, and garlic.


Then I made my own version of bananas. We don't have saba so, we just have those plantains which I formed into cups. And then plated it. One side the banana, center is my garnishing of shredded green manggo with mini sprouters plus a dollop of storebought spicy bagoong. Then the third side was the home made anchovies.



Kaon na ta!!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi there. Cebu Foodie here. I'm a bit disappointed with the bloggers/posters in Yummy-Cebu.com so I might not be posting there anymore. It's so hard on the ego when an amateur/dilettante criticizes or questions a professional's knowledge of food, when that same professional's opinion is highly valued by chef and restaurateur alike here in Cebu. I actually thought I'd be associating with people who had at least a little bit of experience and knowledge about cuisine/cooking, such as you. You know, talking/chatting at the same level, but obviously these are not the kind of people I am looking for. I'm still gonna drop by and observe, but so far, I'm not very impressed with the level of expertise these people are exhibiting. I will, however be dropping by here from time to time, and maybe post some comments. Stay cool!

Cebu Foodie

Anonymous said...

By the way, I love your plating!

Cebu Foodie

Cuisine-nera In America said...

Hi Cebu Foodie, I totally, totally agree with you. But then again that is their format -- which is rather limited to Cebu Go to the general version of Yummy.com; it's more your venue..and has tons of knowledge and more nationally broad. I think that's also a magazine there?...And if you want to have more fun expressing yourself, start a blog..even if it's just for yourself.I started that way....Thanks for your compliment.