Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Reminiscing the 70's


Last week, there was a lively exchange in facebook of songs and experiences during the 70's. As my good friend Joy M. said, high school is the most memorable time of a teenager and I definitely , 100% agree with her. She then posted an array of old time favorites from Barry White, Stylistics, 5th Dimension and many more.

Recalling the 70's dance craze such as the grind, penguin, swing, salsa and those that we call 'maski pops' short for 'maski papaano' makes me smile. The soirees, the discos and tea parties were social events every teenager in the 70's look forward to. The age wherein we stepped the line from being a kid, to puberty. From being vinegary smelling child, to the juvenile swimming in flowery perfume or russian leather scent or whatever was hip at that time.

We would always look for an excuse to have parties and we would always re arrange furnitures . Chairs, or sofas would be positioned against a wall making way for a dance floor at the center. During the party, the girls were seated nicely beside each other like a line up in a brothel waiting to be picked. When the party started, the lights were turned off sometimes with only a spark coming from a mosquito coil (katol) or turning on a dark colored light revealing some sense of vague visibility. And the boys would be huddled up in corners sizing their 'prey' via mental visualization. At the sound of a note from the vinyl records on the turntable phonograph, the boys would rush towards the girls while extending their hands simultaneously saying, “may I have this dance?”

The slow drag music was always a challenge to many. For the male, it gives them a chance to experience and express their virility. For the girls, an opportunity to either rebel against or display that convent upbringing of virginalized sanctity. The guys would try to pull their partners as close to them as possible that not even the 'langaw' could go through. Some would succomb to this form of affection while the other girls try to push both hands on the male's breasts while extending their butt outwards, not wanting to be any more closer than a foot apart. Such funny scenarios.

Many courtships were also done in the dance floor. I recall a boy, who had been constantly calling me finally had the courage to say what he wanted to say in person and did it on the dance floor. Lanky, reckless and awkward, he looked at me and said, “I love you, what's your answer?” Now, pray tell me-- how unromantic is that? And mind you, what is the question, anyway? Dumped is the answer he got.

It was in one of these parties that Mike saw me. He asked around for my number and thus started the courtship. It was several months after the initial call and on November 20, 1972 (yup, that's the date) he asked me this question, “no strings attached, no questions asked, will you be my girl?” …. Well I didn't know what he meant but he was good looking, he was hip, we belonged to the same circle of friends, and he was several years older (which probably was thought of to be more mature) and by the end of the evening I was his girl. (kuno!!!)

Anyway, so we hang out together often. I liked having him around, and the accouterments of having an MU (mutual understanding) was there. Until.... one day, I just decided to 'chill' which really meant, seeing other people. After all, he was busy with his architecture, and I was just growing up.

I dated others, well that's because Mike said no strings attached right? So...It wasn't like I was being unfaithful, okay? Besides, I was in high school and was having so much fun. What made it interesting was when my physics teacher (just about Mike's age and a friend as well) asked me for a date. He wasn't my type but hey! I was flunking physics so, whats wrong with having your teacher as a friend. Besides, I passed, didn't I? And the whole senior class knew it!

And of course, I was also being hotsy patootsy with a member of a well known trios group (who is now a celebrity in his own right----and Happily married!!!so don't get any ideas) I remember when we were in our senior year, we chose one of their songs as an enrty to the High school choir contest and won. I can still picture Gilda Go conducting and the talented Ga Creus on the piano. That song escapes me now.

Oh yes...High School is indeed one of the best times in my life. And I could go on and on...but I'd rather reserve that for my memoirs. After those high school escapade or sometime therein, the term “exclusivity” came into existence. Mike said that since we had been going together for several years it was 'implied' that we were a couple. And of course nobody was surprised that we eventually got married and still are. But it's still an open relationship-- after all, no strings attached, no questions asked, right?

Reminiscing on the songs of the 70's will always make us remember our youth- the roller coaster of hormones that took us to a few moments of depression one minute and the height of utmost climax the next. It was indeed a wonderful era for baby boomers. So Joy, keep those songs rolling and lets keep on rocking....even if we have to move ourselves up and down in our own rocking chairs....

No comments: