Monday, November 9, 2009

The Naked Chef

One of my favorite pastimes after work, is hanging out in a bookstore to check out the latest book releases and sale clearances. But today is special since there would be a book signing by one of those celebrity chefs whom I know little about except for occasional cooking t.v. episodes. And I didn't want to miss the opportunity even if I was not a great fan. ( I wanted to make brownie points with my daughter whose cooking library we are both building up.)

Anyway, after the book signing and walking out the door, I overheard the lady ahead of me say something like this, "You wouldn't believe who I just saw...In flesh and blood--it was the NAKED CHEF!!! For real, I was looking for the kids' Christmas stuff......." her voice trailing off as she got out of sight.

Then I thought to myself, did I just have a picture with the NAKED CHEF? For starters, this caucasian, hunk of a man with a British accent and whose shows I sometimes see on t.v. had a baseball cap covering unkempt blond hair. This was the guy that would say 'buh-nuh-nahs' instead of bananas or 'toh-mah-tos' and not too-may-toes.

I quickly rushed home to surf the net and inquire why he was dubbed as the NAKED CHEF. He may have the physique of chef Robert Irvine of Dinner Impossible whose upper torso is intimidating to the other stubby chefs. But judging from my 3 minute encounter, he was no Gordon Ramsey character but a cross between Bobby Flay's street smart, baby face demeanor and the disheveled hair of Alton Brown (if ever there was any left). Judging from his looks, he could pass for a male stripper at a Chip n DAle club. But I didn't want to presuppose that he was one that would have have cooking demos with skimpy shorts and tropical chalekos that barely covered his chest.

So finally, when I looked up Jamie Oliver's bio on his being a NAKED CHEF, it meant that he was cooking with the basic ingredients and nothing more to it. It is common knowledge that the Brits have one of the most boring food. It only gets exciting when it is influenced by another culture such as the curries and the cheeses.

I looked through my newly autographed, "Jamie's Food Revolution" and found it simple, understandable and with a sense of mission. With today's fast food phenomenon, we are in the midst of the worst food epidemic that the world is experiencing. Unlike the swine flu which is so over rated, the sublte and modern way of eating via instant quick meals has been the cause of bad health, obesity and even faulty nutrition.

Jamie's book is a call to cooking simple, nutritious, economical, tasty and hearty food. His book will give you some ideas, and once you've learned some techniques, to 'pass it on'.

Although I agree with the concept for the book, I found it to be limited and very western. Nevertheless, it is a worthwhile read. It is filled with fun pictures and includes stories that help in collaborating his book. In my rating of books, I would give it a 7 out of 10. But judging from being a NAKED chef, I'd give it an 8. And I'm being generous.


No comments: