Monday, October 15, 2012

Volunteering for the New York Food and Wine Festival 2012


“Why do you volunteer”  asked  a man, as I stood by my post fronting the Soho hotel.  Earlier, I see this man with two of his friends come out of the hotel, apparently talking about the events they were going to go to.  And judging by their attire and conversations, they could be journalists covering the food festival.   So I looked at him and say what every Filipno would probably blurt out without thinking, “because we get to have free food!”  Which of course didn’t suffice his curiosity because in every volunteering situation for a big event, food is always a given among volunteers. And he again asked, “no really, why are you volunteering for this event?”

So I told him that for the last 5 years, I have been attending these festivals, joining workshops, attending the Times Talks and even watching culinary demonstrations.  But this year, most of the affordable events weren’t appealing anymore, since most of them I had already went.   And those that I didn’t go to, I couldn’t afford.  So the only thing that would keep me in the festival was by being a volunteer.  That way, I’d still have some action without paying a single cent.....well, almost.

The first day was cold and a little boring but I made it with flying colors.  After my first day, my coordinator assigned me to a more fun event which would let me play with kids and be with celebrity chef Guy Fierri.  But when I signed in the next day, I was directed to a different post at the Illy Welcome Center.   My job was to help keep the line at the book signing.  Wow! I said to myself....years before,  I would line up for autographs from these chefs but this time, I was in charge of the line, where the chefs could see me all the time....now that’s even better than playing with kids.  And what’s better was getting to know more chefs than just one....and have pictures with them to add to my collection......Alleluia!!!!

Book signing started after lunch and I really didn’t know who David Venable was but he did have a cookbook and he did have a following.  Every author was allowed only an hour to sign their books.  The second author, Stanley Tucci, was another one I really didn’t know until I saw him take his place at the author’s table.  Then I realized who he was.  Not only was he a food enthusiast, cookbook author, film director but also  an actor....Then I said to myself, “i’ve seen this guy but can’t remember when.”  Anyway, when the line for both authors where done, and they still had time, I immediately went to both of them and said, Can I have a picture with both of you?.....and they said, “sure! that’s what we’re here for!”....And so here it is........  Anyway, am not going to go any further because I will just be preempting my pictures which I will soon post.  But here are the two guys am talking about....


Anyway, hubby and I were there for a good number of hours and after 6 authors, I said I’ve had it.  I didn’t stay for the Neely’s, nor for Rachel Ray because I’ve seen them before and am not really a fan of any of them.  After that, we took a walk around the Chelsea Market and my feet were so tired that we had rested at the open space with public seating in one of those street islands.  A few minutes later, we started again to walk. Then, with the traffic of people moving about,  I noticed a guy coming towards my direction and his familiar face looked much like Alton Brown!
At first, I wasn’t sure, so I called out his name softly.  Luckily, the pedestrian traffic light turned into red and everyone stopped.  By then I blurted out, ‘Alton Brown!’...the guy then turned his back and said, “yes?!”  I couldn’t believe my eyes when he approached me and we looked at each other and finally I said, “YOU ARE ALTON BROWN!!!!!!!”.   His lips gave that crazy smile and then he turned back around and moved on.

I think I must have lost my market value there for a moment because I had my mouth wide opened until I came to my senses.  And I kept on smiling and shaking my head.  Of all people....Only a foodie would know who he is!  And I knew him because I’ve seen him so many times before, and he is just as simple as can be...oh well! that completed my day.  And I am definitely going to volunteer again!!!!  

No comments: