Wednesday, September 29, 2010

MEN Just can't Leave me Alone

I don't know what's in the air, but lately, I've been having my shares of flirtatious moments. Not that I am the one initiating such actions, but it's just that these dirty old men won't leave me alone.

Last year, on my way to a food show, I was briskly walking to the train station when a man a few meters walking opposite me stopped in his tracks and upon nearing him, he asked me, “you look so pretty.” I smiled and said thank you, but he followed it up with, “would you like to have a date with me?” Shocked was my reaction that I almost gagged at my reply, “Gotta go, am late for the food show.” And this was broad daylight at 10 in the morning. Geesh, loooweeessss!

Then another time, while waiting for a subway train, an MTA attendant at the station struck up some light conversation. Why he chose me amidst all those people waiting, I had no clue. But then I realized that his chit chat was leading to asking me out that I had to cut him short and say I was meeting my husband uptown, and that was when he backed off.

Don't get me wrong, but love affairs here in American can start out in situations like this. Just like with my friend, Kay, who I was to meet up at a mall with her sister. She had met her beau while traveling on a train, they chatted while in transit and one date led to another. And yes, they are now a couple.

So I was suppose to meet her at a mall last Saturday, and while I was waiting for the bus, a man driving a light blue car pulled over, right in front of me and said, “I hope the bus lines are working good today.” And I said, “Oh yes they are, one just passed by but am waiting for a friend.” (not true since I was really alone and the bus takes longer on weekends) Then he smiled, and said, “okay, have a good day.” And then he sped off. I instantly knew that was a pick up line, because why else would he stop on a busy highway to talk to me, right? If only he drove a lamborghini instead of a clunker, I might have reconsidered...heheh... they have to have some CARacter to be considered.

And a week earlier, I posted on my wall a similar situation were a guy from the post office wanted to engage in some communication. MEN!!!!!

AT my age, it is very flattering to be noticed and appreciated even if the wrinkles are visible and the love handles are oozing out of my clothes. It is good for my esteem, and I do get different reactions everytime I tell people my experiences. My kids would say, “yuk! Ka lu-od nimo!” which to them I can only conclude that I am way past my egg producing days, thus I am useless in those flirtatious moments. But to my husband, he is proud that his wife is still desirable. (kuno)

Friends my age, have experienced similar incidents theirs are even much more applauding. I like the incident where a young male in our group went up to my classmate and told her he fantasizes about her many times.

So what do we do when faced with moments like this: Smile and be glad that at our age, we're still “hastang lami-a”( eatable as my husband would adjectivize) ....and of course, brag to your friends about it. That's just what we did last Saturday, and even if you get older, story telling your experiences will get good laughs always, like this story:

Three old ladies were sitting in their retirement home reminiscing. The first old lady recalled shopping at the greengrocer's, and demonstrated with her hands the length and thickness of a cucumber that she could buy for a penny.

The second old lady nodded, adding that onions also used to be much bigger and cheaper. She then used her hands to demonstrate the size of two big onions that she used to be able to buy for a penny each.

The third old lady remarked: “I can't hear a word you're saying, but I remember the guy you're talking about.”

No comments: