Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Of Birthdays and Facebook

What is the significance of blowing birthday candles that corresponds to your current age? Tradition says that by blowing, you release the smoke to the skies for the 'gods' to grant your wishes.

If they are right in their thinking, then I might as well broaden the ritual and not limit it to birthdays. Like, when I'd fry food in the apartment, and light several candles to camouflage the after effects of frying then I could make more wishes. Now that's what I call increasing the bets...

Now, on the other hand, if wishes on birthdays are longer than the smoke that a candle can handle, then it would be practical to use an incense stick so the flow of smoke is continuous and the flow of several requests are also ceaseless....

Oh and talking about birthday cakes...I am suspect to eating a cake with candles that were blown by a celebrant. Why?...the germs, hija...you just never know. And imagine if it was a trick candle wherein you blow it once, it lights up again, and you have to blow again and again and again.....Gosh! Before you know it, the celebrant's saliva is all over....So this year, no cake for me, even if it was my own drool that is involved...yukkk!...gross!!!

Waking up to the long list of well wishers on my birthday is such a pleasant....and yes, I mean a pleasant surprise. Those that think facebook is a waste of time don't realize the fun they are missing. The things that people do are just what makes them 'compos mentis' in this insane world.

So what if you're telling the world you're drinking orange juice at the moment, or in the airport waiting for your flight? So what, if you're eating cebu inasal lechon and showing pictures of it. Who cares if after 15 years you suddenly paste your picture to show your balding hair or that your bulging bilibilations are parallel to your boobs. As Bing Cosby says, Middle age is when your classmates don't recognize you anymore....So what?!!!

Facebook is just one of those programs that get you in touch with the world and reconnect with friends from your past. It can also make your fantasy virtually real. Such as being an haciendero in farmville, or a villain in those war games. It can make you word savy in scrabble or a super secretary in typing maniac. Whatever you want to be, even for a moment, is just a touch of your fingertips.

And to many who uplifts you with scriptures, phrases and quotes from everywhere I leave you with a part of a dialogue from a christian friend I met at Union Square- c.s. Black's Inherit the Mirth:

Jesus: Come, follow me.
Simon: You mean on Twitter?
Jesus: No. Just follow me. I’ll be your Lord, your Savior, your Friend.
Simon: Friend? We’d better make it official on Facebook.
Jesus: Look, I simply ask you this: Do you want to live life to the fullest and help reveal the kingdom of God to the lost sheep of Israel?
Simon: Sounds cool! Is there an app for that?

All this new technology can be wonderful. It’s making our lives better in numerous ways. But sometimes I think Ralph Waldo Emerson was right: “Things are in the saddle and ride mankind.”

agree...agree...agree.

Thanks again to the many people who have greeted me on my special day.

oh and by the way, people are asking me for my age....I am very consistent...I am 38, and if you ask me next year, I will still be consistent at 38.



this is the only dish i made during my birthday...Bacon Crusted Meatloaf....see my grandaughter in the background...she loved my dish as well

No comments: