Thursday, January 21, 2010

Who Stole my Sans Rival?


I've just been cruising in on my bed, after that roller coaster adrenaline rush during the holidays. Just couldn't keep focused on what to post or what to write. Too many things happening on my paid holiday leave of 10 days. Squeezing in 3 parties, meeting family and a short trip to West Virginia are all what I can handle. Snippets of these activities roam around my head like birds flying before my eyes.

I remember the preparations for the Holidays and on Christmas day with family, we played games and ate heavily . Then the next day my integrity as a cook was at stake. After all those articles I wrote about food and graduating from a course, I had to prove myself and had friends over for dinner. I got raving reviews from Baby Wamsley which meant I passed the test. 

Then there was the trip to Beckley, W. Virginia to meet my relatives, the Ramases, which was a first for me and a great one at that. One night, as we were having dinner, it dawned on me that I was amidst professionals. At the dining table were either medical doctors or nurses, an astro physicist and a rocket scientist who works for NASA, and here I am a measly kusinera from New Jersey. But nevertheless, I was not in the least intimidated. After all, they are my relatives whom I've known since birth.

Then back in New York, I missed my nephew , Anthony Huxley's debut as the cavalier of the famous New York Ballet ensemble 'The Nutcraker'. But nevertheless, we met after the show and had dinner with his mom, Generosa, Adrienne and Mike.

New Year's day just passed by like a breeze and before long, the last of the party plates have been stored and am back at work. Then of course there's the matter of the leftover food from the holidays.
Most are now frozen and labelled to be thawed as needed.

So I'm thinking of what to do in the next couple of days with the left overs we have :

Ham - to be made into quiches galore: some just plain, others with veggie lefties..and the ham bones to flavor the beans.

Lechon – paksiw tends to be boring already, and fried gets too greasy---hmm, why not make lechon filled ravioli and pour on a garlic flavored balsamic vinegar reduction. Now that's something

veggies – as these will just rot when left unattended, might as well plop everything in the juicer and squeeze out all its nutrients. Then drop a tinge (actually make it an ounce for every cup veggie) of vodka or cachaca rhum for that holiday hangover...hubog naman atong new year-- tiwasan nalang nato! Healthy pa!

And as for the desserts--- hey! Where's the sans rival I saved up for that coffee of mine?...I placed it in the freezer, with my name on it pa gyud!...hmmm, have to do a little investigating here...anyway, can't wait what's in store this tiger year...Rooaaaarrrr!!! Happy New Year everyone

No comments: