Saturday, October 10, 2009

Cebuano Lechon Rocks!

Last week I was disappointed when I got an email from the Gourmet Institute, refunding me for a cancelled show of food styling and food photography. However, with the extra cash, I joined another venue at the NY Food and Wine Festival which was far better than what I would have missed...The replaced show was the first I attended this morning, but that's not the main story..I will write more on that later, as it needs more space...

Anyway, after the talk, I told Mike that there's only one person I needed to see, since last year, I practically had all the signatures or pictures of my favorites. Some are still around like Bobby Flay, Rachel Ray, Guiada...but this guy, I almost missed.He was 2 steps to his waiting car when he saw me take pictures from about 4 feet away. He summoned to me, and asked if I wanted a picture with him....WANTED?!!! He was the reason why I was going to that particular area...If you're a foodie, culinarian or asian gourmetian, you would know this guy.




After that experience, Mike and I had lunch at Chelsea Market- Food of the Network stars. And who should we see a few feet from us while we were having our sushi and soup.. Many probably wouldn't even recognize her, even I forgot her name--but she's the new Network Star--that lady housewife who won over a realtor...


AFter the late lunch, Mike and I walked 30 blocks towards the New York Times Building where the show I was waiting for 5 months, was going to be held. It was an interview by New York Times food writer Frank Bruni with the jet setting celebrity chef Anthony Bourdain.



What you see on T.V. while he talks is already watered down. Tonight's interview was spontaneous and truthful, and authentic just like what he is in his books. Meaning-- the curses and the jokes are there. I don't want to go into details because it will probably be aired on t.v. or shown somewhere in the net, but here's a bird's eye view:

He mentioned about going back to Vietnam and China. The street food of singapore makes new york gourmet food seem pathetic. He likes those sqiugly octopus in a Korean resto in Queens. And you can get good vegetarian dishes in India. Since there was a question and answer portion right at the end of the show, I couldn't resist myself and stood up to ask something. Here's what I asked :
"Mr. Bourdain.....I've noticed that you practically mentioned most of our Asian neighbors, yet I have not heard you mention anything about the Philippines. Yet in your February showing, and in your blogs, you mentioned that Cebu Philippines as having the best roasted pig in the whole world. Do we still have that No. 1 spot, or have we been unseated"

A.B. started with Puerto Rico having very good lechons and that some culture have good techniques on how they make their roasted pigs equally as good.blah.blah..blah....But then of course in the end, Mr. Bourdain, said "Yes, the Philippines still has the best roasted pig."

With that statement I stretched my hands up in the air, and as I flexed my elbows to my side, a resounding :"YESSS!" was loudly uttered from my lips, sending the audience to an amused laughter and then they clapped their hands.

So there!!!!! Mga Cebuanos....and Pinoys!!! we still have the best lechons in the whole world...and the world knows it as well. What country has a "Parade of Lechons" with plenty roasted pigs dressed to fad and funky.......only in the Philippines.

And Mr. Anthony Bourdain, you made my day!

No comments: