Saturday, February 7, 2009

Different Not Alien

I have been writing this weekend and I really enjoyed it. I am posting my essay on how to explain to children racial differences and I hope you will enjoy reading as well. Here it is:

Different Not Alien by S.J.C (me)

“Brown is best!” my grandfather used to say , when as a child, I asked him why we had such skin color. The inquiry stemmed when a U.S. navy boat landed in our home port, Cebu, Philippines during the 60’s and many Caucasian sailors roamed our city.

With a pointed finger upward, my grandfather reiterated of God having a huge oven in heaven and making three batches of people. The first batch , he took out too soon and was white as snow. The second batch, he took out longer than should be, so it became the dark race. But with us, He just made a perfect batch. With a sigh, Grandpa would shake his balding head and then interject his favored reply on our race

I adhered to that belief, because in my growing years, many beach resorts were being built for tourists. I would would often see many pale skinned people basking under the sun for hours in their skimpy swimsuits. Grandfather must be right, and that these white people wanted to finish God’s baking

However, as I expanded my knowledge through school and travels, I knew better than believing my grandfather’s folklore. And respecting differences in culture, tradition and race was part of it.

Fast forward many years later and having migrated to America, I am faced with a similar situation yet under different circumstance. Baby sitting a 4 year old, blue eyed, blond hair boy who became curious of my skin, he placed his small arm alongside mine. While comparing , he asked, “Why am I white and you’re brown?”

My best explanation about melanin cells without sounding scientific led me to a story about me having more tiny dots in our body which I inherited from my grandparents. Adding to the fact, that my ancestors lived in a place where it was warm all year round. I further explained the difference that his daddy’s daddy came from a different climate as well and so needed less cells, which made him fairer.

The political aspect I injected was again another story about us having the same color of blood and same emotions which my little ward perfectly understood with a language he was very familiar with.

My grandfather is not a bigot but explained my toddler question the best way he knew how . Several of his best friends were Caucasians who stayed months in our country. But my grandfather treated every one of them with utmost care, humility and respect, which I emulated as well.

If I gave my grandfather’s explanation, my little ward would probably think I was silly as he did some of my fantasy stories. Children today learn more and faster with technology and exposure to different races and culture. Along the way, they will learn so much without having to ask us. But if they do, it is our responsibility to explain within the capacity of their understanding and our ability to set a good example which should portray the epitome of a human being that is just, unprejudiced, unbiased and compassionate.

After all, they will be our future!

No comments: