Thursday, January 3, 2008

PG10 (pursuing 10 goals)

New Year’s resolutions usually end up as empty promises unless followed up diligently up to the last 365th day when a new one takes its place.Therefore, in my case, I would rather make goals that are doable which can be qualified as well as quantified.


Here are my goals and how I think I shall achieve or even surpass them:


1) Top of the list would be my romance with food. Try to dine on restaurants owned by Iron Chef Mario Batalli, and Morimoto.


2) Moreover, I am blessed to be living close to New York City where there are so many restaurants featuring ethnic cuisine such as Jamaican, Turkey, African etc.. At least I would like to try one weird dish from a culture which I know nothing of.


3) It would be nice to watch at least 3 broadway shows this year.(Jersey Boys, Mama Mia and another one to be decided later )


4) Go down 2 sizes more. Two years ago, when I had my medical check up, I was 10 pounds overweight. A few months ago, I lost almost about 8 of those pounds and went down a size and a half lower. I will take out those two pounds from my waist and be my size again of 20 years ago. If I made it in 2 years without really trying, I will probably make it this time with much focus.


5) I am determined to make 5 books this year. You might think that’s way above my head. But didn’t you know I’m making children’s books? The memoirs and biographies are still in process and will take several years. But children’s books, well I have one already made out. That’s why I’m learning how to use the PDF and then go POD. With an Illustrator and my story, that makes a book, doesn’t it? (actually this goal is wishful thinking really)


6) Going organic is one way to have a healthy body and eventually a sound mind. Mike and I have decided to cut down on meats and keep our diet simple. Which means, we will only eat steak twice a year and will not settle for anything less, not even the Angus one. We are eyeing for the one they call the ‘aged beef’ because we want to know why it’s so expensive. So Veggies and Fruits are the thing for us now.


7) I will collect 100 or more cookbooks this year and send it to the Philippines. Since my daughter is taking culinary arts (she is also a graduate of interior design), I will support the combined dream we have of putting a business dealing with food. Iwant to put up a library as well as a commissary when I get back. (by the way, for the record, she still has the 3 hamburger joints which her husband had plus the catering business I left her) We will add more.


8) Learn another language. Everytime Mike and I take the subway around New York, we hear different kinds of languages. New York is really a melting pot of cultures and languages. I like to learn Italian since I have dreams of living in Italy for a few months. (I have the Italian connections you know). Mike likes French, but I think they smell of cheese and sometimes much worst.


9) Try to learn putting make-up on. For several years, my mask was just a dab of face powder and maskara. Only lately have I learned to make use of all the rudiments of putting on a real mask like moisturizer, foundation, eye shaper, and what have you. I never really got hooked on putting make up because, first of all, I find it too time consuming; Second, I didn’t think you needed to put so much on your face without looking whorelike and finally, my face would feel heavy with all those masks and made me look older than younger. But this time, as our wrinkles are starting to appear, we definitely need those putty to smoothen the lines. Besides, with the latest products in the market, it does make you look younger.


10) Change my wardrobe. Throw those Midwest jeans and t-shirts, and go for the New Yorker boots and hats. On second thought, I wont throw them away, I’ll just sent them to the Philippines.


So far, these are the only goals I can think of. I just pray that all these will be done in a year’s time before I can come up again with a new one.


New Year’s eve for me was quiet, having had only my two granddaughters with me, while my son and husband braved the cold in Times Square waiting for the ball to fall at the stroke of midnight. I do not want to expound the gory details but let me give you a hint: My granddaughters were dry as a desert ,but “my men” walked like bumble bees. Go figure.

No comments: