Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Lenguas de Pilipit

One of the first things we learn as children is to speak the language of our birth. For me, it was the visayan language with its melodious intonations but spoken with a hard tongue. Then our parents with their western mentality starts speaking to us in a foreign language known as “English” and we were stuck for life.


In school, English was the spoken language, but at home, it would be visayan for the benefit of the maids. Until the maids learned how to speak broken English, then our pronounciation got screwed up. We were also exposed to Spanish speaking relatives, and eventually learned some words ourselves. My grandfather being a pure Spaniard (kuno), would sometimes speak with the other elders in Spanish so we, as children wouldn’t understand, but eventually we did. As we became parents ourselves, we would speak Spanish if we didn’t want the children to know what we were talking about. That’s when spelling the words weren’t as effective anymore and the children learned how to read.


Moreover, when I got married to an FBI (foreign born illonggo), I was exposed to Illonggos. They had a more melodious intonation and sometimes, when the men spoke, you’d think they were flirting or gay. Recently, my daughter and her husband relocated in Bacolod and so did my sons. So now we all speak a mixture of English, visayan and Illonggo.


Although we lived in Manila when I was young, and pilipino was a must in our school curriculum, I never really got the hang of speaking tagalog. In Cebu during my married life, all my best friends were tagalogs, but I can assure you that when I spoke tagalog, it sounded Chinese.


Lately, I have been learning how to speak Korean since I got hooked up in a soap opera a few months ago. Before I go to bed, I surf the channels for a nice show and what struck me was this Korean show. It had a present day setting and had subtitles for me to read. My initial reaction from watching the first episode was very perplexing. A couple was having a verbal fight but their actions and faces were contrary to what I was reading. The woman was insulting yet smiling but not in a sarcastic way. In another scene a man in black suit was carrying ,piggy back style, a woman who was in a gown and high heels. You would think this would happen in the countryside, but the setting was in the city of Seoul, Korea. But what intrigued me most was the way Koreans prepared food. So many side dishes in small platitos. Very feastlike.


Another language that we are familiar with and speak a few words of is Chinese. Mandarin or fookien, it doesn’t matter since most of the words learned were from high school days--these were mostly curses and numbers.


If you think my tagalog sounds like Chinese, wait till you hear the Chinese talk american. I once stayed with a Chinese family here in america and they were so nice and fun to be with. One day my friend (let’s call her Joan) was visiting her 80 year old mother. The old woman was complaining about her eyesight but she was speaking in Chinese. Joan, sensing that speaking a foreign dialect in front of a guest was rude , commented to her mother in English, “but mama, your eyeglasses are as big as vernacular.”


Then I asked her, “what do you mean, Joan?”
“you know the one that looked like a telescope.” she said.
“Oh, you mean binoculars." I interjected then corrected her " Just to let you know, Joan, that binocular and vernacular are two different words.”
Then we both started laughing while she continued repeating her mistake.


At one time, Joan’s brother (let’s call him Ben) and Mike went to a book store. Ben proceeded to ask for help. “Do you hab koots”, he said in his very bisaya tone.
“I’m sorry sir, you’re in the wrong store. We don’t sell coats here.” noted the sales lady.
“No, no..ets a book wid mini see-ings.” The sales girl squinted and looked at Ben analyzing what he just said. Then as if she realized what was said exclaimed, “Ohhhhh! You mean QUOTES! Right at the back of the store beside the philosophy books.” she commented. With that, she pivoted leading him towards the rear side of the store..
Then as if whispering to Mike, Ben commented,”Bida, ining glis na to, di pa siya kasabot. BUGO gyud!”
(My goodness, that was already spoken in English yet she didn’t understand. How stupid)

I remember my mother relating to us an experience she had while travelling Europe. She and my aunt went into a restaurant and when they looked at the menu, they didn't understand any of the food offered as it was written in the native tongue (I forget what country it was). And the waiters didn't even speak a word of english. So when my mother would point something out in the menu, the waiter would act it out. If it was chicken, he would fold his elbows and flap it accompanied by a sound, "cluck, cluck, cluck". Then if it was beef, the waiter would go "moo,moo!" and for the pig, he would snort. That was how they understood each other.

Even babies as young as a year old or less learn to communicate in their own language.
"Milk" could mean having your fingers open and closing rapidly. Or when my eight month old is done with his dinner, he would brush his hands to and fro as if saying "all done!" Or when he is hungry, he would point to his mouth.

It doesn't really matter what language you speak. All that matters is for your message to be relayed and understood. Oh well!

No comments: